Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Report from SIUW
My core Class was Politics Matter: What’s at stake for Union Women
I have to say that I took this class last year when we went to UCLA, and this year’s class was so much better! The Instructor’s were great, Felisa Hagins has been a member and Political staff for SEIU for the last 7 yrs and Dayan Sykes is the Director of Human Rights and Young Workers at the BC Federation of Labor..
These two had only met the night before, and they worked like they had been friends for years…. They had us working on a Campaign and what needs to happen if you want to run for office or if you want to help someone run ! The handouts that they gave us were wonderful!
My core class was everyday during SIUW: from 9am to noon
My six hour workshop was: Singing for the Union and was on Wednesday & Thursday from 2-5pm (sorry I missed the 1st day of this one as I needed to go home and sleep, I worked the night before) I had taken this class in BC the 1st year that I had gone to SIUW. This workshop was as good as it was in BC and the Instructor was Sarah Laslett, she was who was in BC 2 yrs before!
Now on Friday we went to our core classes in the morning and in the afternoon we went and did a Solidarity Action with JWJ. This was in Oregon City at the Fred Meyers! There were two groups, one inside and one outside! I was with the one on the inside: we sang Union songs going thru out the store! That was the 1st time I have ever done anything like that before! I had my i Phone with me and I did record us in the store and on the bus going to the store.
I just want to say thank-you for letting me go to SIUW once again this year. And I got to meet up with a woman I met in BC & UCLA! Next year SIUW will be in Honolulu, Hawaii sometime around the 16-20 of June2011
Theresia Lloyd-Siemer

No comments:

Post a Comment